A look back at the Purdy Kresge Library
In 1953, Wayne State University General Library opened to students. The library had four floors with administration, reference and law collections on the first floor; literature, arts and a rare book collection on the second floor; social sciences on the third; and education, including children’s books was on the fourth floor. The Kresge Science Library connected to the General Library by a corridor on the first floor.
In 1972, The Wayne State Board of Governors approved the renaming of the General Library to the G. Flint Purdy Library in honor of Purdy’s dedication to libraries and Wayne State. Since 1974, 20 people have been presented with the G. Flint Purdy Memorial Award, an award given to a member of the University community in recognition of significant contributions that further the work of the Library System.
The General Library in the 1960s