March 21 – Arts in the Atrium & Opening Reception of Binding Wounds
You are invited to the OPENING RECEPTION for National Library of Medicine’s Traveling Exhibit and WSU School of Medicine and Shiffman Library Spring 2012 Arts in the Atrium event.
Binding Wounds Pushing Boundaries: CIVIL WAR MEDICINE & AFRICAN AMERICANS looks at the men and women who served as surgeons and nurses during the American Civil War and how their service as medical providers challenged the prescribed notions of race and gender pushing the boundaries of the role of African Americans in America.
The Opening Reception for the exhibit is scheduled for Wed. March 21, from 4:30 – 6:00 PM. The address is 320 E. Canfield St., Detroit MI.
The event includes
- Moderator Dr. DE’ANDREA WIGGINS, Interim Director, Office of Diversity and Inclusion, WSU School of Medicine
- Presentation of Flags by Frederick Douglass Academy for Young Men Junior ROTC
- Opening Remarks from VALERIE. M. PARISI, M.D., M.P.H., M.B.A., Dean, WSU School of Medicine and Dr. SANDRA YEE, Dean of WSU Library System
- An Introduction to Civil War Medicine by TOM ROE, M.D., Assistant Professor, WSU School of Medicine
- Physically Disabled Veterans of the Civil War by SCOTT JANKOWSKI, WSU Honors History Student
- Unveiling of the exhibit
Visit the Binding Wounds Pushing Boundaries website for more information.
The NLM Exhibit will be displayed at Wayne State University Shiffman Medical Library from March 19 – April 28.
Limited seating and light refreshments for Reception.
Must RSVP to 313-577-6666 or ShiffmanOutreach@wayne.edu with contact information and number attending.