November 1999 Minutes
Wayne State University
University Library Committee
November 16, 1999 Minutes
Present: D. Drucker, A. Goodman, V. Neale, M. Newcomb, M. Oermann, G. Reid, J. Woodyard, R. Holley, L. Sutton
1. Those present introduced themselves. New members of the committee this year are Allen Goodman and Jessica Litman.
2. Minutes of the May 17, 1999 meeting were approved, following the correction of the spelling of Rita Guptaâs name.
3. Progress on the ULC website was reviewed. A major emphasis of the website is to inform and educate faculty on matters pertaining to scholarly communications and copyright. Once the committee approves the content, links will need to be established so that people can find it. Methods of publicizing the site include distribution to the Academic Senate and to department chairs as well as a University Libraries Newsletter article.
1. Add committee charge to website.
2. Enable comments feature.
3. Send comments to J. Woodyard by 11/30 (later extended to 12/15) for website improvements.
4. The libraries are looking for increased funding from new sources. Because the model for indirect cost recovery of research grants is changing, this is not a likely source of revenue. M. Newcomb pointed out that electronic subscriptions by the libraries are saving money for academic departments. He has personally experienced this in his work. The libraries might be able to partner with academic departments to share costs.
5. Committee members commented on the draft "Collection Development Principles" and provided valuable input on this process.
6.?WSU Libraries have become a charter supporter of the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC) BioOne initiative, the purpose of which is to help small association publishers convert print publications to electronic. M. Newcomb commented on the price differential between Tetrahedron Letters ($8400) and the competing SPARC publication at $1100.
7.?The Search Committee for a Dean of University Libraries has begun to meet. Faculty representatives include Larry Scaff, chair, Lowell Wenger, Phil Abbott, Jeff Abt, Ken Kline. Representing the libraries are Lothar Spang, Janet Nichols, Michelle Jeffries, Duryea Callaway, Carol Doll (LISP) and Tom Latuszek, student representative. The hope is that a permanent Dean be in place by September 2000.
8.?The third Tuesday of the month from 2:00-4:00 pm was identified as the best time to meet. The next meeting will be December 21, when a new co-chair will be elected. The ULC listserv will be updated and notification will be sent to all members. A new student representative needs to be appointed by the student council.