Wayne State University
University Library Committee
February 22, 2000
Present: R. Slaughter, D. Drucker, J. Moseley, M. Newcomb, J. Woodyard, R. Holley, L. Sutton
Guest: S. Phillips
1. Minutes of the January 25, 2000 meeting were approved.
2. J. Woodyard discussed progress on the ULC website. A team has been assembled (J. Woodyard, L. Sutton, G. Sperl and M. Rodriguez) to update the site using comments of committee members. Now that the site is functionally reliable, the format will be reorganized. R. Holley’s graduate assistant will perform literature searches to update key areas of interest. M. Newcomb suggested that the SPARC title, Organic Letters, be highlighted. Other committee members were invited to do the same for journals in their areas.
3. S. Phillips gave a presentation on Media Services. She addressed an upward trend in workload, service issues, recent projects and accomplishments and process improvement efforts. Committee members provided feedback on classroom conditions and the need for a team approach in dealing with the problem. Ms. Phillips was invited back to the next meeting of the ULC to address budgetary issues.
4. R. Holley thanked committee members for input on the research support presentation he gave to the WSU Research Deans. He has since given the same presentation to the College of Science and the Medical Faculty Executive Committee. R. Slaughter will try to get him on the agenda for Pharmacy.
5. Committee members provided input on Technology Fee proposals being considered by the University Libraries: lecture webcasting, electronic reserves, Science Direct and a digitization lab.
6. Another attempt will be made to reach the newly-appointed Student Council representative.
Next meeting scheduled for March 21, 2000 from 2:00 — 4:00 pm.