Wayne State University
University Library Committee
May 9, 2000 Minutes
Present: A. Goodman, J. Moseley, M. Newcomb, R. Slaughter, R. Holley, L. Sutton
1. Minutes of the April 18, 2000 meeting were approved.
2. R. Holley reported on the University Libraries budget hearing with the Provost, which went very well. Top three priorities were designated:
The Provost advised that while it may not be feasible to recover funds from schools and colleges, it is still useful to point out that departments can benefit from canceling print subscriptions that are now available electronically on a campus-wide basis.
3.Discussion was held on the Strategic Vision for University Libraries document that had been distributed at the last meeting. The Committee supports the vision as described in the document.
4. The University Libraries contract with Elsevier for access to the full-text of all Elsevier journals (Science Direct) was discussed as one example of new developments in the publishing industry. The Libraries secured one year of funding for Science Direct through a 1999 Technology Fee grant. Future funding is again being sought through the Technology Fee program as well as through the regular budget process. The Committee advised that such new resources be advertised more widely to faculty.
5. The latest version of the ULC website was presented. J. Moseley moved and A. Goodman seconded that the site be made public. Motion passed unanimously. Links will be created to the University Libraries site and invitations will go out to other sites (Office for Teaching and Learning, Academic Senate, Provosts Office, individual schools and colleges)
to provide linkages.
6. Committee members were thanked for their input and guidance throughout the year. The next meeting will be convened in the new academic year.
Minutes by Lynn Sutton