Shiffman Medical Library
"The database system of filtered evidence-based information"
Table of Contents
Shiffman Mobile Device Library:
InfoRetriever, a part of the InfoPOEMS system, is a search engine that lets you perform simultaneous keyword searches of the following databases: full collection of POEMs, Cochrane Database abstracts, evidence-based guideline summaries, decision support calculators, diagnostic test calculators, H&PE calculators, the complete 5 Minute Clinical Consult (5MCC) and ICD-9 lookup tool.
InfoPOEMs is available to WSU affiliates. To access databases listed above on your Mobile Device, you need to:
- Use your SoM email credentials or WSU AccessID and password for remote access/downloading
- Download and install InfoRetriever Files
- Synchronize your Mobile Device. The Updater software should attempt to automatically register the InfoRetriever program.
- If the Updater fails to automatically register InfoRetriever, the program will stop functioning after 30 days unless a registration code is provided. Be sure to register your copy of InfoRetriever® so that the program will function for the full duration of our subscription.
To download and access the full version of 5MCC for Mobile Device, you need to download the FULL VERSION of InfoRetriever files. You must have 55 MB or more of free storage space on your internal or external memory to perform the installation. (If your Pocket PC performs automatic compression of Internal Memory, you may only need 40 MB of free Internal Storage space to perform an installation to Internal Memory.) The instructions for downloading are provided below.
School of Medicine students, faculty and staff:
All School of Medicine (SoM) users are strongly recommended to use SoM Virtual Private Network (VPN) to access library resources remotely. It facilitates access to WSU resources from the Detroit Medical Center facilities and any other non-WSU remote location (e.g. at home) with any Web browser and Internet connection.
- Go to: http://vpn.med.wayne.edu
- Enter the same login ID (e.g. zsmith) and password you use for your SOM e-mail account
- Then add Shiffman Medical Library bookmark on your VPN website
- Click "+" on the "Web Bookmarks" bar
- Enter WSU Shiffman Medical Library in the Bookmark Name box and http://www.lib.wayne.edu/shiffman in the "URL" box
- Click "Add Bookmark" button
Until you sign out you will be recognized by the university network - without the need for additional passwords. If you are a SoM affiliate and do not have an e-mail account, go to http://accounts.med.wayne.edu to obtain these credentials.
University Students (Non-School of Medicine)
University students can access library resources remotely by using the library system's EZproxy server. Always start your search for library resources from the Shiffman Medical Library web page. (Do NOT use WSU Pipeline to access library resources). When accessing a resource requiring WSU authentication, you will be prompted for your WSU AccessID (e.g. ab1234) and password to validate entry.
Preliminaries: Uninstall InfoRetriever from your Mobile Device if you installed a previous release of Inforetriever. Write down your current license code listed under 'File' -> 'Register' before removing the program.
- Fully Exit InfoRetriever® if it is running ( File -> Exit )
- Select Start -> Settings -> System and tap on Remove programs .
- Select the InfoRetriever® program and tap Remove.
Step 1 : Connect your handheld and make sure that a connection to your desktop computer has been established with the current version of ActiveSync or latest version of Palm Desk and HotSync.
Step 2: Download InfoRetriever installation file to your desktop computer.
Note: If you access this site remotely (e.g. from DMC or home), please make sure you log into VPN first using your SOM credentials. See authentication for details.
Step 3: Run the installer to install InfoRetriever program and data files to your Mobile Device. In the main installer screen, select "InfoRetriever for Pocket PC" or "InfoRetriever for Palm".
The InfoRetriever Updater is automatically selected for installation. A seperate installation process will launch for the InfoRetriever for Pocket PC or Palm setup and the InfoRetriever Updater setup. Follow the instructions in each installer carefully.
During the install process, if your Pocket PC device is newer and has expansion memory (e.g. SD card) available, you will be asked where you wish to install InfoRetriever (i.e. on device or SD card). If you have an older device, you will be asked "Install InfoPOEMs Inforetriever using the system default directory?". Select Yes to install InfoRetriever to your device's internal memory. Select No to install InfoRetriever to your device's external memory (e.g. SD card). The InfoRetriever program files will then be installed.
(Note:Palm users need to perform a Hotsync operation to install the InfoRetriever program to the device.)
Step 4: Disconnect and Re-Sync your device. InfoRetriever Updater will download and install the InfoRetriever data files to your device. This process may take a while.
Step 5: Configure your InfoRetriever Updater. InfoRetriever Updater will present you with an Initial Configuration dialog. Simply click Next>, Next>, Finish to accept all default option.
Step 6: Synchronize your Mobile Device. The Updater software should attempt to automatically register the InfoRetriever program.
Note: If the Updater fails to automatically register InfoRetriever, the program will stop functioning after 30 days unless a registration code is provided. Be sure to follow the instructions below to register your copy of InfoRetriever® so that the program will function for the full duration of our subscription.
- Obtain your InfoRetriever SerialID by launching InfoRetriever on your handheld device and selecting File -> Register from the application menu. Write down the SerialID listed in the box.
- Obtain the License code by visiting the Register InfoRetriever page and following the instructions provided (i.e. entering your email address, name, Mobile Device platform, and serialID). Then the InfoRetriever® License Code will be sent to you shortly via email.
- Enter a License code into InfoRetriever by selecting File -> Register from the application menu. Once you have entered the license code, tap Set License and then "OK" on the pop up box. Tap the Close box.
Step 7:Run InfoRetriever by taping InfoRetriever listed on your program screen.
- PEARLS that were added to the Pearls menu in a previous version of InfoRetriever® may not function properly in the latest version. You may need to remove your PEARLS and re-add them to the Pearls menu. [Palm OS, Pocket PC]
- Tapping the X in the very upper right corner of InfoRetriever® on the Pocket PC does not exit the InfoRetriever® program. Rather, it simply "hides" the program. To fully exit InfoRetriever®, you must choose the File -> Exit option from the Application Menu. [Pocket PC]
- Guidelines that contain images take a long time to load. Devices with less than 64MB of memory may not be able to display all images in guidelines. (This does not apply to 5MCC articles and the Photo Gallery.) [Palm OS, Pocket PC]
- InfoPOEMs Frequently Asked Questions
- Userful Resources that help you make the most of InfoRetriever with InfoPOEMs.
For further assistance regarding downloading, installing, or accessing this application, please contact us by an email or call the Information Station at 313-577-1094. We can also provide individual consultation to assist with the download and installation process.
Please send us your comments/suggestions.