Shiffman Medical Library
School of Medicine
Where To Start
Shiffman Medical Library - Always start at the library website. It’s your portal to seamlessly accessing library resources. Bookmark it. Use it on campus. Use it at home and off campus. Do NOT use Pipeline to access Library Services.
Essential-to-use library services (activate and verify all your WSU accounts first):
- Know your WSU AccessID (e.g. ab1234). All library services require this important credential.
- Verify your WSU Access in the WSU Directory
- Activate your WSU email (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org). You can also forward this email to your SOM email and create an alias (e.g. email@example.com to match your SOM email – e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org)
Note: Voluntary (non-WSU paid) faculty need to email email@example.com or your Liaison Librarian first.
- Don’t know your password? Check here to reset password
- Check My Library Account (has info about articles you request, WSU and MeL books checked out, due dates, etc.)
- Activate your ILLiad account – used for books not owned by WSU and back up for some article requests)
- Get your WSU OneCard – used to check out books at any WSU library
Use PubMed@Wayne – Primary search interface for MEDLINE biomedical & scientific literature; has links to WSU-licensed resources and ordering system
- Full text articles instantly with WSU ArticleLinker
- Order full text articles — ArticleReach; also accessed through
- Use PubMed tools such as MyNCBI to organize and save citations, searches, download references to EndNote, get email updates or RSS feed for journal table-of-contents (TOC)
Library Catalog — search for WSU owned or licensed print or electronic materials: books, journals, videos, etc.
- - Print books delivered to Shiffman Library or Applebaum LRC (FAQ)
- — a new powerful interface for searching the Wayne State University Library System Catalog that uses a simple keyword search much like Google. Encore allows you to:
- See the titles from your results that have been most recently added into library collections
- Narrow your search results by subject, author, format, language, collection, date, etc.
- See the most relevant (current) titles first
- Narrow results by the most frequently occurring subject terms with subject cloud tags
- Order print books not owned by WSU at MelCat or WorldCat via and use ILLiad
- Request new Journal or Book purchases (print or electronic) - Email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact your Liaison Librarian
- Course Reserves — contact your Liaison Librarian
Remote Access to Library Resources
- Uses your WSU AccessID (e.g. ab1234) and password
- EZProxy allows electronic access to WSU resources from non-WSU locations (e.g. home, off-campus sites; although some hospitals may restrict use)
- Compatible with any Web browser and Internet connection
- Always start on the Shiffman website http://www.lib.wayne.edu/shiffman
- Upon request to access a licensed WSU resource, the WSU EZProxy box will request WSU AccessID (e.g. ab1234) and password
- You do NOT need to download any software
Don't know your WSU AccessID and password?
- Visit WSU C&IT website for instructions.
What about using Pipeline?
- Do NOT log in to Pipeline to access library resources
- Pipeline may ‘time-out’ or block access to some electronic items.
- Pipeline is used to report payroll time card, add money to OneCard, pay parking, sign up for events, access Blackboard, etc. BUT NOT for library resources
Resources & Services
Databases & Tools
- AccessMedicine / AccessSurgery / AccessPharmacy
- EndNote and EndNote Web
- MD Consult
- Web of Science - includes Science Citation Index (SSI) & Journal Citation Reports (JCR)
- UpToDate (WSU or DMC campus access only)
- More at Health & Medicine Databases A–Z
NIH Reporting Requirements
- Library workshops and Research Consultations: PubMed, Evidence Based Medicine Resources, EndNote, and more