Shiffman Medical Library
Adaptive Technology Workstations
The Library System provides a small number of student workstations that provide improved features such as:
- speech output
- screen magnification
- alternatives to the standard keyboard and mouse
- speech recognition software
- accessories to make computer use more comfortable
Workstations are available during regular library hours.
Minimal assistance is available in use of the adaptive technology components:
- Boot up, start and close programs.
- Basic information and directions in using the programs.
- Basic help with equipment (raise and lower the table, scanner, microphone, etc.) or the software.
Staff cannot provide extensive tutoring in the use of applications, but can direct users to tutorials within the software and make sure the user is able to work with both equipment and software. Please plan to bring your own assistant if you require continued or advanced support. Students are encouraged to contact Student Disability Services.
Community members in need of further assistance can be directed to the Frederick Douglass Branch of the Detroit Public Library which houses the Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped.