Shiffman Medical Library
University Libraries' Reserves
Information for Faculty
Reserves can be used to make physical materials such as Books and Media available to students. To help your students use Reserves in the libraries, instructors are requested to inform their students that a OneCard will be required in order to review materials that are on reserve. Reserve materials can be requested by instructor's last name. It should be noted that reserves fines apply to all categories of library users, including faculty and staff. Traditional reserves materials can only be returned or renewed at the Reserves Desk from which they were checked out.
- To place an item on reserve:
- Fill out a Reserve Request Form for required readings only. Select the appropriate Wayne State library unit where you would like material available.
- Allow 14 days for the items to be placed on reserve at the beginning of the semester. This includes single items.
- Personal materials, (those that belong to the faculty member) will be minimally marked with Reserve labeling and returned to the faculty member at the term’s end.
- Instructors should not notify students of reserved materials until after materials have been processed and placed on reserve.
- Instructors will be contacted if an item is not already owned or readily available. Items WSU does not own will be rush ordered with notification of reserve status occurring immediately after receipt. Items from one campus library may be placed on reserve at another campus library, depending on need and usage patterns in the "home" library.
- The length of time an item can circulate to a student, (the loan period) is chosen by the faculty member who places it on reserve. Options are 1, 2, and 3 hours, 1, 2, 3, and 7 days. Utilization of these options may vary according to Library unit.
- The library reserves the right to limit the number of items placed on reserve for any one course.
- Instructors may reserve the right to limit access to personal materials placed on course reserves to only his or her students. To request this, a class list must be presented.
- At the end of the specified term, instructors will be given the opportunity to retain reserve items for the subsequent term. Notification will be sent to each faculty member informing her/him of what materials are on reserve, and requesting that he/she notify the library if he/she is interested in continuing to keep the material on reserve.
- The Wayne State University Libraries comply with all provisions of the Copyright Law (Title 17, United States Code.)